Re: Samuel A Cooley, Civil War Photographer

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 14:23:40 -0700

Hi Julie,

I first heard of Sam Cooley in a Civil War class. There was a slide of a
wagon with his name on it. (I made the professor back up so I could take a
closer look.) This is probably it:

http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq59/yankeetown_2008/03518r.jpg

I found this at
http://civilwartalk.com/threads/sam-a-cooley-photographer.24811/ He's
almost certainly not one of ours, but likely of either the Benjamin or the
Samuel/Prudden line.

--quote--
    Information on Samuel A. Cooley

    Donna,
    Samuel Abbot Cooley was the son of Dr. Abial Abbot Cooley of Hartford,
Connecticut. An article in the June 4, 1866, edition of the Hartford Daily
Courant noted that Cooley had been elected sheriff of Beaufort, South
Carolina. By 1869 he was back in Hartford, as the Courant had an article
in the September 3, 1869, edition detailing how Cooley had saved an old
woman from being run over by a wagon. In the February 1, 1871 edition of
the Courant, there is an advertisement noting that "Sam A. Cooley with
give an exhibition of beautiful Stereopticon
Views." The notice went on to say that "Many of the views were taken by
the proprietor while photographer for the United States in the
Department of the South, during the late war." If you would like
copies of these articles and a few others that I have, just let me know
and I will be happy to email them to you.
    Jeff
    PS: Cooley died on May 14, 1900, and is buried in the Old North
Cemetery in Hartford.
--endquote--

> http://www.loc.gov/pictures/search/?q=cooley&co=civwar
> I was looking for other family members when I found this site, and so I
looked up Cooley.
> I am not sure how Samuel ties in to my and Joel and Nancy's families,
since we still don't know Perrin C's parentage, but I am betting Sam is
in
Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2013 3:41 PM
> Subject: Re: Cooley deaths in Missouri
> Hi Nancy,
> Apart from finding John's parents and wife, this is one of the deepest
Cooley mysteries we have. Perhaps we've discussed this before, but would
you agree that this is Margaret Reed?
> --quote--
> On 27 Mar 1891 Perrin C. Cooley of LaPlata, Macon County married
Margaret
> A.
> Cooley at Kirksville, Adair County.
> --quote--
> But wouldn't this be more than 20 years after the fact?
> I don't see that I have the 1870 census entry for him. Do you have that?
-Michael
>> There is so much missing from Perrin C.'s life!  =20
>> He did serve with the Nebraska volunteers:  1Nov 1862 -  23 Dec 1863,
enlis=
>> ted and or resided at Plattsmouth, Nebraska and gave his age as 38. On
Civil=
>>  War pension rolls his birthdate still shows as 21 Jan 1820 which would
>> have=
>>  made him 42.
>> Our nephew's DNA results surely make the connection to all of you but
Perrin=
>>  C remains fuzzy. We have not had any luck finding info on his wife
>> Margaret=
>>  Reed Cooley (1846-) not even her death date.
>> Thanks for keeping Perrin C in mind, Michael.  We appreciate it! Nancy
and Joel Cooley
>> Sent from my iPad
>> On Jul 27, 2013, at 2:49 PM, ancestr2_at_host187.hostmonster.com wrote:
>>> It occurs to me that Perrin C Cooley would have been the army during this
>>> time.
>>>=20
>>> The placement of Perrin C is a huge mystery. The estate records of Perrin
>>> Sr's son, James, names all of his siblings and the heirs of his deceased
>>>=20
>>> -Michael
>>>=20
obvious. Perrin Jr was living with another couple in 1880. W T looks
like
>> t)
Records
G.
Intelligencer, 14 April 1826
October 1847
December 1947
Newspapers:
Easely
Franklin
Cooley
(Undertaker's
http://ancestraldata.com/listarchive/johncooleylist/for list
informat=3D
http://ancestraldata.com/listarchive/johncooleylist/for list
information.
Diet Pill Sales Soar
--------------000705080406010009020309
    State-wide Missouri Obituaries =46rom "The St. Louis
Christian
      Records of Pioneer Missouri Women from newspapers
    Records of Missouri Men from Newspapers 1808-1854</i> (1981),
  Metropolitan, 21 December 1947<br>
April<br>
href=3D"mailto:ancestr2_at_host187.hostmonster.com">ancestr2_at_host187.hostm=

--
Second VP, the Cooley Family Association of America
Administrator, the Akins DNA Project