Eleanor Rue Papers
In February 2010, I received from Clyde Senger scans of two typewritten
papers by Eleanor Rue:
- Errors in L C Hamil's "A Story of Pioneering" (two pages)
- The Descendants of Jonathan Coolley of Fayette, PA (two pages)
Although there is nothing specific to John Cooley of Stokes
county, North Carolina, these pages provide further evidence of the
problems with Lura Hamil's book.
ERRORS In L. C. Hamil' s "A STORY OF PIONEERING"
[Noted by Frank E. Cooley, Jr., Treas. The Cooley Family Assn., Dec. 1968:]
Page 78: Samuel Cooley who married Polly Dike connected
(half-heartedly) with the Dutch Cooleys. Mrs. Florence Cooley Miller
(Irene Miller's mother) was a prodigious searcher for her own family
history. See "The Descendants of Col. Benjamin and Ruth Beach Cooley"
somewhere in the Quarterly Bulletin.
*See also page 547 in THE COOLEY GENEALOGY.
Page 79: #112 111 23 Peter Cool married Nancy Perry. We know from
the family records of Peter Cooley of Manchester, Ohio, that their Peter
Cooley, son of John2, son of Peter1 Cooley who came
from London, England to Virginia, married Nancy. It will show in the Record
of Peter Cooley of Manchester, Ohio when [Frank E. Cooley, Jr.] gets around
to publishing it [intends to do so in 1969; don't know if ever done].
*THE COOLEY GENEALOGY, p. 547:
309 SAMUEL COOLEY6 (Benj. III5, II4,
I3, Daniel2, Benjaminl), s. Benjamin III
and Ruth (Beach), No. 280, b. Nov. 17, 1775, Pittsfort, Vt.; removed to
New York State, where he lived for a time, and in 1832 removed to Michigan;
m. Oct. S, 1797, Pittsford, POLLY DIKE, da. Jonathan and Esther
(Barnard), who had settled in Pittsford in 1781, and who came there from
Coventry, Conn. They lived in Pittsford for three years, then removed to
10 Children,7 first born in Pittsford, Vt.:
- Irene, Aug. 29, 1798
- Samuel II
- Benjamin Chester Mary
- Dike, Aug. 25, 1819, Cambria, Niagara Co., NY [Mrs. Charlotte (Cooley)
Lathrop of Chicago is a descendnat, though no information has been secured
through repeated inquiries.]
Re L. C. HAMIL'S "A STORY OF PIONEERING"
[Copied from handwritten notes of J. Force, Cooley Family Assn. Genealogist]
Pp. 13 and 76 of Book:
Thomas Cool m. Maria Tiler of Boston and had sons, Daniel and Nathaniel,
probably Ephraim and others. The m. of Thomas to an Eng. girl gives a
distinctly Eng. trend to this branch of the family.
His son, DANIEL, married JEMIMA GRIFFIN of Mamaroneck, of the New Eng.
family that had come so early to Mamaroneck, and a direct descendant of John
Joseph and Benjamin Griffin and Richard Cornell, four generations back of
the Rev. period.
DANIEL COOLEY (Sr.) b. around 1706. d. 1762. m. at Mamaroneck, NY, JEMIMA
GRIFFIN, b. ___, d. before 1730. Settled at Minisink, Orange Co.
- Isaac b.c. 1726
- David 1727
- Sarah 1728, m., had a dau., Mary Jane
- Daniel, Jr. 1728
- Samuel 1729
- Jonathan 1730. etc.
WILLS OF EARLY RESIDENTS OF WESTCHESTER COUNTY, NEW YORK, p. 230:
Will of HANNAH GRI FFI N, JR., Mamoronek (N.Y.): "to my cousin JOHN
GRIFFIN, son of my bro. JOHN - my house & land in Mamoroneck lying between
the lands of ROBERT COLES & the lands of the Palmers, which I bought of ...
Gideon Florence, 15 acres.
To my cousin SARAH, dau. of my sister, JEMIMA COOLEY, deceased,
Dated: Aug. 10, 1770 proved Aug. 31, 1770.
(Typed from handwritten notes by Cooley Fam. Assn. Genealogist, Janice Force.)
COOLEY ASSN. QUARTERLY BULLETIN Vol. IV, July 1943
THE DESCENDANTS OF JONATHAN COOLLEY OF FAYETTE, PA.
The name in first generations is spelled COOLLEY, gradually changed to Cooley.
"The Cooley Genealogy" by Dean M.E. Cooley, pp. 951-2, has following:
William Cooley of Irish extraction - was in Maryland at the time of Rev.
- residing near Baltimore. He had 1. John and 2. Jonathan, b. 1777,
married Jane Passmore & had sons:
(Material in Bulletin by Mary Shultz, "Old Family Bible":)
- Jonathan Cooley, b. ____ d. Aug. 22, 1817
m. Oct. 31, 1805, Jane Pasmore Evens, b. March 2; 1784, d. July 19, 1870.
Lived in Tyrone Twp., Fayette Co., PA.
According to stories handed down, the Cooleys came from Northern Ireland to
Maryland, and then to Fayette Co., PA very early. The men (at least
some of them) were iron workers. "Old records of this family were lost in a
fire -- and this old Bible looks like it had been thru fire, flood or
Jonathan and Jane Pasmore Evens Cooley had six children: COOLEY:
Prob. born Fayette Co., PA.:
- Matthew b. Aug. 11 , 1806, d. July 30, 1876>br>
m. Isabell Espey. No children.
- Mary Pasmore b. March 1, 1808, d. Sept. 1, 1809. D.Y.
- Elizabeth Firman b. July 4 [6th in book] 1809, d. Sept. 15, 1900.
[In red ink: Called Eliza by her younger brother, John, in
a letter - later in the book! Said to be a widow in this
letter - 1849. (Prob. 1st husbandl m. 1) Samuel McFadden,
who d. May 2, 1841. They had two children:
- J. C. b. Aug. 5, 1837, d. May 2,1840. D.Y.
- Nancy b. June 22,1840, d. April 2,1841. D.Y.
Elizabeth m.2) Adam Horne. No known children this m.
- Nancy b. April 22, 1811
[In red ink: M. David Terrence
No mention of children by John in above letter written 1849. Book says:
lived abt. 6 miles from Connelsville, PA at that time.]
- William b. Jan. 9, 1814
[In red ink: Lived in Connelsville in 1849 at time of letter written by his younger brother John.]
- John b. Aug. 22,1816, d. Dec. 18,1892
m. 1) March 20, 1839, Connellsville, Maria Louisa Bryant,
b. ____, d. Dec. 25, 1849.
Descend. of Jonathan Coolley of Fayette, PA, p. 2
Five children b. this marriage (John & Maria), COOLEY:
- Eliza Jane b. Jan. 17, 1840
- Isabella b. Sept. 18,1841
- Wallace Harman May 1, 1843
- Amanda b. Jan. 30, 1845
- Henry Loor b. July 16, 1847
As far as known John Cooley lived all his m. life in Connellsville, PA.
Many of his family buried there.
John Cooley (b. Aug. 22, 1816), m. 2) Aug. 12, 1852 Mary Ann Baker of Butler
Seven children b. this marriage:
- Samuel b. May 2, 1853
- Matthew b. Jan. 22, 1855, d. May 4, 1902, PA;
m. 1882, Margaret Kimmell.
- Maria Louisa b. Dec. 19,1856, d. Feb. 9,1929. D.Y.
- Frances Delisca b. Nov. 12, 1858, d. Apr. 29, 1934, bur.
Pittsburgh, PA; m. Frank M. Tipton. 5 children.
- John Baker b. Oct. 30, 1860, d. Sept. 16, 1934, Connellsville. Single.
- Harriet Dora b. Mar. 9, 1863, d. Sept. 16, 1934
- Rachael b. May 11, 1865, d. Feb. 5, 1943, New Kensington, PA; m. Aug.
6, 1891, William Walter Shultz.
Five children - SHULTZ.
- Mary b. May 18,1892. Unm. [Wrote article.]
- William Walter b. June 8, 1897, m. Jean Meyers; no children.
- Theodore Joseph b. March 25, 1902, m. Evelyn Griffith; no children.
- Charles Edwin b. Apri 1 21, 1905
- Dora Frances b. July 9, 1906.
(Copied for Patricia Cooley, Vancouver, WA)
All original portions ©
Michael Cooley, OrbitInternet.net -