Name: Oliver Ashenhurst
Born: 6 Aug 1793
Place: Norfolk, VA (at sea)
Died: 6 May 1859
Place: Viola, Mercer Co., IL
Place: Viola Cemetery, Viola, Mercer co IL
Married: 7 Aug 1828
Oliver and Euphemia had the following children.
||Married Joseph Shaw.
||Married Emeline Tidball. They both died in Mercer co IL.
|Francis Marion Ashenhurst
||Married Margaret Agnes McCall.
Find A Grave Memorial #11766908.
|James D Ashenhurst
||Married Demetrius Ypslanti Cowden
|Mary Jane Ashenhurst
||Married James M Willis
||Married Victor Crosen
|Oliver Taylor Ashenhurst
||Married Sarah Eva Southern.
The following is from page 168 of the History of Adams County, Ohio.
Oliver and Eleanor Ashenhurst, natives of County Tyrone, Ireland, emigrated
to America in 1793. With them came William Ashenhurst, a brother of Oliver,
and Nancy Ashenhurst, a sister of Oliver, who had married another William
Ashenhurst, her first cousin. All of these first settled near the state line
separating Washington County, Pennsylvania, from Ohio County, (West)
Virginia. About 1817 Oliver and Eleanor Ashenhurst moved from that
neighborhood to Adams (now Brown) County, Ohio, settling about five miles
southwest of Winchester, where they died. They were the parents of five
children, as follows:
- John Ashenhurst
- Elizabeth Ashenhurst, married Benjamin Marshall (see Marshall
- Eleanor Ashenhurst, married James Johnson.
- Margaret Ashenhurst, married William Reed.
- Matilda Ashenhurst, married Thomas Robinson.
William and Nancy (Ashenhurst) Ashenhurst, brother-in-law and sister of
Oliver Ashenhurst (above), emigrated from Brooke (earlier Ohio) County,
(West) Virginia, in or about 1817, settling in Adams (now Brown) County.
Ohio, about five miles southwest of Winchester. Here he died in 1837 at the
age of ninety-five; she died a few years later at the age of ninety-six.
They had five children; the first four were born in Ireland, and the
youngest was born on their
[line missing from photocopy sent to me]
- John Ashenhurst (born circa 1773, died May, 1856 at [can't read it],
Wayne County, Ohio) married in 1802 Mary Young. He was a soldier of the War
of 1812. He and his wife had seven children, as follows:
- Nancy Ashenhurst, married, November 1, 1827, Valentine Bishop.
- Margaret Ashenhurst, married, February 19, 1826, Garrett Snedaker.
- Esther Ashenhurst, married, July 5, 1827, William Lane.
- Ella Ashenhurst, married Stephen Bayless.
- Elizabeth Ashenhurst, married Oliver Robinson, her first cousin.
- William Ashenhurst (born 1816) married in 1843 Mary Mahaffey. It
is alleged that he was murdered by his wife's brothers, who escaped
conviction through the influence of a secret society to which they belonged.
- James Young Ashenhurst (born 1818) married, June 6, 1844, Martha
- Oliver Ashenhurst (born October 1, 1820; died March 22, 1898)
married first, November, 1846, Susan Parker; he married second Amy Phibbs
(born January 3, 1837; died October 5, 1883). There was one daughter by the
first marriage - Samantha Ashenhurst (married John Clinger). By the second
marriage there were nine children: John F. Ashenhurst (married Clara
Leedon), Julius M. Ashenhurst (married Alice Charles), James Oliver
Ashenhurst, Mary Margaret Ashenhurst, Elizabeth Ashenhurst, Ella Ashenhurst,
Myrta A. Ashenhurst, Lulu Maud Ashenhurst (married W. E. Woods), and Minnie
For many years Oliver Ashenhurst, in partnership with Alexander Roush, owned
and operated a large milling and farm supply business in Manchester. His
first wife is buried in Bentonville; he and his second wife are buried at
- Margaret Ashenhurst (died unmarried)
- Mary Ashenhurst (died unmarried)
- Nancy Ashenhurst (died unmarried)
- Oliver Ashenhurst was born in 1793 at sea, when the family was on the
voyage from Ireland to America. He served in the War of 1812 from Brooke
County, (West) Virginia. After coming to Brown County, Ohio, he married,
August 7, 1828, Euphemia Bishop (born 1807), and they had nine children:
- Margaret Ashenhurst (born 1829) married Joseph Shaw, March 17,
- William Ashenhurst (born 1831; died 1881)
- Elizabeth Ashenhurst (born 1833)
- John Ashenhurst (born 1836)
- Francis Ashenhurst (born 1839; died 1881)
- James D. Ashenhurst (born 1841; died in the service during the
- Nancy Ashenhurst (born 1843)
- Mary I. Ashenhurst (born 1846)
- Susan Ashenhurst (born 1848)
(Submitted by W. Marshall Sellman)
All original portions ©
Michael Cooley, OrbitInternet.net -